Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Great Lakes Theatre Festival

This weekend my Shakespeare acting class went to the Great Lakes Theatre Festival to see “Twelfth Night” and “The Mystery of Edwin Drood” .

After the production of  “Twelfth Night” we had the opportunity to talk with some of the actors and ask them advice about pursuing a career in theatre. They were more than willing to give us more than their two cents.  By the time we left that night I think we had roughly $10 worth of two cents, all of it helpful.

The biggest question I had for them was what advice they had for applying for grad school since that’s what I am interested in doing after I graduate. They gave me a lot of good advice about how to find what I wanted in a school and what to do when I auditioned. The two things that resonated with me were that when I go in for my audition I am auditioning the school as well, I can’t just go into the audition hoping they will love me and that’s it, I need to make sure that I like what they have to offer and how they work. The second thing was that the audition isn’t about being the best actor at the audition, more importantly it’s about who I am in the audition room before I even start acting. If I seem like a confident interesting person that interests them first and then when I show them that I can act it makes a much better impression on them. In the end what should happen will happen it’s just a matter of taking the cards I have been dealt and playing the heck out of them.

The actors who spoke to us were extremely kind and helpful. The shows were wonderful and I can’t wait to return. 

Cheers,

JoJo

No comments:

Post a Comment