Sunday, October 4, 2009

Social Media Plus Mom and Dad

Wile doing homework in the living room with my roommate last night, she all of a sudden exclaims “ that’s so weird”. Curious, I asked her what was up. Her father had just sent her a Facebook message… bum bum bum!  If you haven’t experienced this, the first time a parent sends  a Facebook message, writes on your wall or comments on a picture it’s a little bit like being contacted by aliens, or like if you came home and your cat was talking on the phone and making you dinner, it’s just a little strange.

The fact that he father contacted her on Facebook was funny in its own right but the content of his message got us talking. The message he sent was about some papers he needed for something official. She made the comment that the content wasn’t really Facebook appropriate. 
After a little discussion this is what we decided:
*Facebook is for chit chat and the less important messages in our lives.
*E-mail is for more official information like meeting dates, or getting official paperwork from your daughter.

For instance I’m not going to e-mail my friend and tell her that I saw her across the tundra today and her coat was super cute. That doesn’t deserve an e-mail. But I will e-mail her to tell her and other people that our meeting will be Friday at 8:00 and to let me know if they can’t come for some reason. That is e-mail worthy.

We also realized that we don’t communicate between social medias much. For instance if a friend sends me a tweet about this cool new band, I will not e-mail that friend back and say “ wow they rock, thanks for sharing the song with me.”

But our parents don’t really understand or subscribe to the norm of how we generally communicate via social networking. In the mean time we might as well roll with the punches and send an e-mail about their tweet about the Facebook message they send us.

Cheers,

JoJo

No comments:

Post a Comment