Sunday, November 8, 2009

Zombies vs. Humans

Just in case anyone was wondering, the humans survived the zombie apocalypse at ONU. It was really intense but they found a way to survive.
Over the last week a group of students at ONU played Humans Vs. Zombies (HvZ). The game is essentially a intense version of Nerf gun tag wear if you get tagged you are a zombie and humans fend off the zombies with Nerf guns. If there are any humans left by the end of the last day of the game then the humans win, if the zombies infect all the humans the zombies win.
I was curious about the game so I looked it up on google and found out that it gained popularity all over the world because of SOCIAL MEDIA!!! That's right folks when the first game  of HvZ was played in 2005 at Goucher College students posted pictures on flicker and put videos on YouTube and the popularity of the game exploded. Groucher College requires all of it's student to study abroad so the game spread globally because of that. 
it seems kind of silly, 20 year olds running around with Nerf guns pretending to be part of a zombie apocalypse...Okay, maybe very silly... but at the very least it keeps college students out of trouble and gives them something to do, especially on a small campus. 
For more information about the game check out the cite , if you want to play keep your eyes and ears open for the next game in the spring. 


Cheers, 


JoJo

4 comments:

  1. I thought this looked so cool! I heard the turnout they had was not what they were expecting, which is awesome for our campus. This is something that can be hosted every year and gain popularity, I'd sure like to do it next year. I love tag, and I love shooting nerf guns. Count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it looked crazy and I honestly didn't figure it out till the last day of play. It is awesome though that the game got spread by social media. It seems college students are the majority of these social media sites, which I love. Go us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so bummed I missed it! PRSSA National Conference called, however. I'm definitely going to participate in the spring if they hold it again, which it looks like they will. There was a nice little write-up in this week's Northern Review about it. Its integration with social media is way sweet too, of course. What better way to keep track of the apocalypse? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to participate so badly! I mean, PRSSA National Conference was worth missing Humans vs. Zombies, but still! Thank you for the update and information on the event. I hope ONU does it again next year, maybe I will play.

    ReplyDelete