Monday, April 19, 2010

Identity Crisis

I am two people. Not in a United States of Tara kind of way but in a how do I market myself kind of way.
What made me think of this is ? Graduation. I'm graduating soon and for the first time I don't know what I'm doing next year. It's all up in the air. The only thing I know is that I'm planing to move to NYC in september and who knows, that could change if I get some kind of awesome job before then... okay back on topic. I'm graduating and I want a job specifically as an actress. I am also a PR major and would like to use my PR degree form one of the 13 accredited programs in the country some how and get a survival job doing that too.

Here in lies the rub, someone hears that you're striving to be an actor and they figure you aren't serious about having a "regular" job and that you aren't going to be at any job for long.

then in the acting world the saying is  "if you can see yourself doing anything else do that". SO you tell a casting director that you do PR (or what ever) as well then they don't think you are serious... it's a circle of doom!!! so in the social media realm what am I suppose to do? How do I market myself? Do I have a web-cite that says JOJO GINN for PR click here for acting click here or do I go as Joanna in the PR world and as JoJo in the acting world and have two brands, then really give myself an identity crisis... or is it cool to be doing both things? any advice my social networking friends? what oh what shal I do... I've exhausted myself typing about this...


Cheers,

JoJo

1 comment:

  1. Hey JoJo! I'm no expert but I would suggest the dual site thing, if you have the time to manage them properly. One could be on your PR resume and another could be for your theatre resume. Also, on the theatre site you could link to YouTube videos of your performances and the other site could feature a digital portfolio, like this one: http://bit.ly/abCP2y

    Lastly, whichever one you're the most passionate about, pursue that one whole heartedly. You PR education will be there if your acting career doesn't pan out, but I've seen and heard you perform. You should do fine ;)

    ReplyDelete